A VA loan is a mortgage loan that is backed by the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs. These loans are available to people who are actively serving in the military or who have served and received an honorable discharge. Spouse of service personnel also may qualify for a VA loan.
A VA loan comes with a variety of advantages, which can put buying a home within easier reach.
- Down payments usually aren’t required.
- VA loan rates are typically lower than conventional loan rates.
- No mortgage insurance is required.
- Counseling is available to help borrowers retain a home through serious financial difficulties.
- Credit qualifying standards are relaxed.
- Limited closing costs.
- You don’t have to be a first-time home buyer.
- VA-backed loans can be assumable. This means they can be taken over by the person who buys your house, even if he or she isn’t a service member.
- You can still get a VA loan even if you’ve declared bankruptcy in the past.
Click here to Calculate your Mortgage!